Sunday, August 13, 2006

Welsh National Snoring Contest

Well, at least some of the dudes in my bunkroom seem to think so.

Yeah, I'm over in Cardiff at the moment. It's not bad over here; reminds me of NZ a little, but then you try and talk to people and the accent kinda snaps you back. Still get these dreaded 'Coronation Street' style flashbacks, which is weird. Oh, also, I walk past a big castle-type thing on what I think is the main street every day...

I'm at a Hostel that has a bar in the bottom floor which, incidently; seems to stay open typical New Zealand-style hours, which is late for most pubs over here. Dangerously convenient, actually. Apparently there was someone puking in our room on the first night I was here (and it wasn't me, woo!), although I was pretty shaky by the time I hit bed as well.

I also manged to go out to a club for the first time since I arrived in the UK. First went to see some indie-folk gunk with some other dudes from the hostel. Not my style, but one of the dudes had an amusing voice and a particularly frantic stage-presence (well, floor area-presence, really). Proved to be entertaining enough for those reasons, I guess.

But, I baled fairly quickly to the local 'metal club' (which I had previosly researched for such an occasion). Weirdly enough, their big metal night is a wednesday, and I had to make do with crappy pop-rock bollucks, which was actually quite disappointing. Strangely enough, the DJ wasn't so amenable to half-cut Kiwi demanding he play Sepultura. Common enough scenario for me, so not really phased, though.

Locals proved to be super-friendly (may want to swap in 'drunk' there actually, but same thing, I suppose) and had a few intesting yarns over the course of the night.

Such as:

"Ah, you're from NZ, huh? Cool. NZers are always welcome here 'cause you guys have to endure the same fecking sheep shaggin' jokes that we get from the bloody English"

Also managed my first discussion about Fantomas with a random. I was shocked when he was just kinda "eeh, it's ok" about 'The Directors Cut'.

Looking at club genres around here is pretty depressing too. Soo much Indie going on. I blame the Arctic fucking Monkies for that (at least to a certain extent anyways). Bloody 'fashionable' music.

Oh yeah, went and saw a castle. Was big; made of stone. That kind of stuff. The end.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Gah, that sucks. I like indie music, but the music that popular culture calls "indie" isn't indie - it's just more popular music.

i feel so pretentious using this argument. but it really is true.

3:23 pm  
Blogger Jon said...

I think the Arctic Monkeys are merely the most recent manifestation of a huge but mostly underground swell of terrible music that's been building for over five years. Personally, I blame the fucking Beta Band.

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home