Sunday, December 16, 2007

France. Well...Paris

So, having come to the realisatikon that Europe is obviously too lazy to come and visit me, well, I guess I need to go and visit it.

...starting with a trip on the Eurostar to Paris.

After a few "Bonjour"s and "Merci"s later, I'm back.

Managed to pack in pretty much all the standard touristy sight thingies into a couple of days, including:

Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre (well, some of it), Basilica of the Sacré Cœur, the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs-Élysées. Also caught a few other things like and old French cemetary and some random modern art installations on the seine.

Food was expensive and it was bloody cold. Otherwise, fun times. Good to finally get across to the continent finally.

A bit weird to feel like a tourist again. I even took some photos, which I've not done for ages.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Squirk said...

Expensive food? Are you kidding?

Show me a restaurant in London at which has a €8 fixed-price menu, even with just two delicious courses and no wine... and I'll show you where I'm moving next :-p

OK, anywhere near the Champs-Élysées charges a phenominal amount; certainly the places I've been just off the road had pretty sad food and atrocious service.

But the delicious -- and relatively affordable -- food was always a highlight of my European trips, and Paris is no exception. Just a snack at a local café or bakery was often a highlight!

4:05 pm  
Blogger Skarnz said...

Well, I know London is hardly cheap, either, but Paris hit a lot harder than I thought. Maybe we we're just falling into foolish tourist places...

For example: Natalie and I ordered stuff like steak and fries with coke and a dessert (hardly fancy stuff) and its coming up at 40 Euros (for the both of us). Am I being unreasonable in thinking that thats a bit much?

Now try converting to NZ$...

One particular thing we noticed was that they milked you badly on the cokes (the prices for which weren't listed on the menu, incidentally). We paid 6 Euro 50 per glass at one restaurant. Madness.

I would have to say that the service was pretty good on the whole, however, which was pleasant, at least.

8:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home